Thursday, June 26, 2014

Stewed Ox Tripe or Kare-Kare

I only appreciated eating this sumptuous dish when I was in college as I'm not a big fan of Peanut Butter. But since my late mom was so fond of cooking this dish and my dad would really savor its flavor, I learned how to eat and appreciate it eventually. (Didn't appreciate it before because I didn't know that shrimp paste or bagoong alamang is a must for this dish). 

My mom used to buy giniling na mani in the market to make it even more delicious, but since this ingredient is not always available in the grocery, I am left with no choice but to use the ready-made kare kare powder mix from Mama Sita's. 


Advantage: Affordable. Less preparation.
Disadvantage: Would taste bland if you are not going to add peanut butter as a part of your ingredient.

So if you're planning to use this ready-made mix, you may want to add peanut butter to make your dish taste like a real kare-kare. 



Ingredients:
1/2 kilo ox tripe - (90 pesos)
1 pouch of Mama Sita's kare kare mix
2 pieces eggplant (11 pesos)
string beans (10 pesos)
2 small pouch of peanut butter (I used Lily's peanut butter); 8 pesos each
canola cooking oil
garlic - chopped 
onion - chopped
3-4 cups of water


What you need to do: 
I used pressure cooker to boil the ox tripe. I cooked the tripe for 30-45 minutes. 

*Pour the water on the pressure cooker. Let the ox tripe cook for 45 minutes. 
* On a separate pan, saute the onion and garlic. Add this on the pressure cooker. 
* Add the dissolved ready made mix kare kare and peanut butter. Let it simmer for 10 minutes. Continue stirring until the sauce thickens. 
* Add the vegetables. 
*Serve with bagoong na alamang

Happy Eating! 

No comments:

Post a Comment