Friday, June 22, 2012

Pork Char Siu


To be honest, I really didn’t know what Char siu sauce tastes like. All I know is that Char-siu is the way how Chinese cook their barbecue.

Definition of Char Siu from Wikipedia: "Char siu" literally means "fork burn/roast" (Char being fork (both noun and verb) and siu being burn/roast) after the traditional cooking method for the dish: long strips of seasoned boneless pork are skewered with long forks and placed in a covered oven or over a fire.



When I was contemplating what dish to prepare for my family, I stumbled to this very helpful website (Thank you Atty. Veneracion); and she described how to prepare a Char siu sauce from scratch. When I fully decided to try her recipe, mom and I saw this ready-made Char Siu sauce in the grocery.

I was quite uncertain to use it right after I bought it because my family might not like the way how it taste. So earlier this morning, while thinking of what to cook for tonight’s supper; I finally had the guts to use it. I was really crossing my fingers that it would taste okay, most especially that my hubby is really a picky eater. He even kept on asking me while I was preparing the ingredients: “matamis ba yan?” I really didn’t know what to tell him, but I just said don’t worry, if you don’t like the way it taste, there’s still a leftover in the ref and we can eat it.) hehe

So the verdict? It tastes delicious naman pala! The flavor is almost the same with my favorite Pork Asado that I always order in Toho (one of my fave restaurants in ChinaTown).

Since the sauce is already ready-made, I only used pork, water, snowpeas and onions to prepare this delightful dish. 


What you need:
½ kilo of pork kasim, cut into cubes
3 cups of water
20 pesos worth of snowpeas (chicaro)
Char – siu sauce
1 red onion, quartered
2 tablespoons of canola cooking oil

What you need to do:
* Heat the pan. Put the cooking oil. Saute the onions until transaparent.

* Cook the pork until the edges turn brown.

* Pour the water until the pork becomes tender.

* Add the char-siu sauce. Make sure that the pork is well coated.

* Put the snowpeas. Let it cook for 1 to 2 minutes

* Serve with love and happy eating! 

Lesson learned: Do no be afraid to try new dishes!!! ♥


1 comment: